What is the Stonemason Carving Competition?
Set within the picturesque gardens of the cemetery, visitors will be invited to view and appreciate the unique hand carving skills of NSW’s stonemasons. Rookwood General Cemetery (RGC) presents this inaugural Stonemason Carving Competition.
Stonemasons are invited to hand carve a snapshot of an existing or original architectural detail, feature or profile within stone. The carving should depict a geometric architectural detail of any given scale or form.
Entry is free and open to established stonemasons and apprentices within NSW.
- Hamper of stone products (valued at $1,350), provided by CDK Stone
- Set of French Guillet chisels (valued at $1,000), provided by Diamach
- Apprentice award – Set of JP carving chisels (valued at $300), provided by sailMade
- 13 Dec 2020 Entries close
- 18 Dec 2020 Successful notification to stonemasons
- From 22 Dec 2020 Stonemasons to collect stone from Rookwood
- 17 Mar 2021 Deadline for carvings delivered to Rookwood and process photos supplied
- From 29 Mar 2021 RGC to install carvings
- 31 Mar 2021 Launch event (TBC)
- 1 Apr – 16 May 2021 Carvings on display at Village@Rookwood
- From 17 May 2021 RGC to deinstall carvings
From 24 May 2021 Stonemasons to collect carvings from Rookwood
Applications are now closed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.