Information for Funeral Directors
Last updated 9.30am, 11 October 2021
The health and safety of our community and staff is our top priority and we thank you for working with us during these difficult times.
At Rookwood General Cemetery, we have been making changes to our services during COVID-19 to ensure we remain committed to keeping everyone safe while remembering the lives of their loved ones.
Current public health order
- A maximum of 100 people who are fully vaccinated can attend a funeral or memorial service or a gathering afterwards in Greater Sydney.
- If any attendees are not fully vaccinated, numbers are restricted to a maximum of 10 people.
- It is your responsibility to advise your families to check the provisions in the Public Health Order before attending a funeral.
Access to Rookwood Cemetery
- All three entrances to Rookwood are now open – Sheehy Ave, East Street and Weeroona Road
- Security are patrolling the cemetery on a daily basis and will be referring breaches/non-compliance of the Public Health Orders to the Police.
RGC Office & Booking Funerals
- Burial and cremation services continue to be offered 7 days per week.
- The office remains closed for face-to-face general enquiries, with Client Services representatives available via phone on weekdays (7.30am - 4.00pm), Saturdays (9.00am – 1.00pm), and Sundays (9.00am – 3.00pm).
- RGC's Funeral Director office remains closed, with the drop box provided outside the office for your paperwork to be placed when you arrive and check in for your funeral service. We ask that you wait for our Concierge to lead your cortege to grave side.
- Canopies, chairs, tissues and water bottles will not be provided by RGC at services until further notice.
- We no longer accept payment via cash for any of our services. Please assist us by making alternative arrangements, such as paying by credit card, direct deposit, or cheque.
- Funeral directors are required to record the names and telephone numbers of all persons attending a service.
- All cemetery visitors are required to check in using the Service NSW QR Code.
- Where possible the vaccination status and numbers of attendees should be confirmed as part of your booking process.
- There are 2 ways to show proof of vaccination:
- Your COVID-19 digital certificate which shows proof of only your COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Your immunisation history statement which lists your COVID-19 vaccinations and all other vaccinations.
- Funeral Directors are required to confirm the vaccination status of staff attending on site.
- Masks are compulsory in all indoor non-residential settings.
- Funeral Directors and their staff are required to wear masks at all times when onsite, including during services at graveside.
- Rookwood Necropolis wristbands are no longer being distributed for funeral attendees
- We’ve reduced the price of hiring the All Souls ceremonial venue. Weekday services are now $620 (previously $950).
- Chapel and function venue numbers for fully vaccinated attendees:
|Chapel Venues||Max. Capacity due to COVID-19|
25 people inside, 20 outside on landing and 55 dispersed throughout the surrounding area of venue including the open space directly across the road (Live-streaming is available)
There are new barricades to assist with maintaining capacity. Please block entry once numbers have been reached. Additional guests can listen to the service from the grassed area to the side or across the road.
Saint Athanasios Greek Orthodox Church
70 people (funerals only)
Max. Capacity due to COVID-19
Sapphire Room + Emerald Courtyard
Min. booking: 50. Max. capacity: 100.
Maximum of 34 guests inside the room, 30 guests on the veranda and 36 guests in the outside area.
|Topaz Room + Emerald Courtyard||
Min. booking: 30. Max. capacity: 82.
Maximum of 17 guests inside the room, 15 guests on the veranda and 50 guests in the outside area.
Min. booking: 20 (30 on weekends). Max. capacity: 32.
Maximum of 17 guests inside the room and 15 guests on the veranda
- When booking a function room/chapel, please confirm seating capacity based on your event.
- At the moment singing is not permitted during any service and you must be seated if eating and drinking.