Rookwood History Tours
Journey back in time through 150 years of history, with a tour of Rookwood Cemetery
The next tours are scheduled for: 17 June and 14 July.
Rookwood Cemetery is recognised as the most historic working cemetery in Australia. Learn about Rookwood’s fascinating history, the story behind its development and evolution, and its significant link to our nation’s heritage – by attending one of our history tours.
- The footings of Mortuary Station No. 1: Discussing the story of the first railway line that transported the deceased from Sydney’s city to Rookwood
- The Circle of Love: A beautiful area that honours children interred in unmarked graves within Rookwood during the late 19th Century, as well as children interred within the children’s lawn
- Martyrs Memorial: A moving tribute to those who lost their lives in Holocaust
- The Saint Athanasios Greek Church: Australia’s only Greek Church located within a cemetery
- Chapel and Mausoleum of Eternal Rest: Rookwood’s newly refurbished mausoleum that boasts amazing views across the cemetery
- The Cottage: The original office of the former Independent Trust
- Notable gravesites: A visit to some the gravesites of some of some of Sydney's notables, including: John Fairfax, Bea Miles, The Gypsy Sterio Family
- Fascinating facts: Describing how burial practices have changed throughout history
- Captivating traditions: Outlining the different religious and cultural burial practices
Please note the following changes to our tours:
- BYO vehicle – due to COVID-19, we cannot have guests in company vehicles
- Walking tours are available upon request – however you can see more of the cemetery if you have a vehicle.
For group bookings, contact email@example.com
Friends of Rookwood Inc are a not for profit organisation made up of volunteers passionate about Rookwood Cemetery. They raise funds for restoration projects within the cemetery, and one way they do this is by conducting paid guided tours on weekends. Download the membership form (.doc)
It was wonderful... We learnt a lot and our appreciation of Rookwood deepened. We will highly recommend this Tour to our wider circle of friends and family. - Brian R.